8/19/2010

MET6203 Computer Applications for Education assignment5~Assistive Technology

The web address is:
http://stroke-order.learningweb.moe.edu.tw/character.jsp

This Assistive Technology can be used in learning Chinese character, especially for teachers to teach slow learners in the classroom or for parents to teach their children at home. I have used it for two years. I would like to recommend it for you.

I have joined the special plan by Ministry of Education for two years. This plan is focus on helping some slow learners or some students whose parents are foreign spouses from the southeastern Asia. These learning beginners are disadvantaged children and weak students in school. Their parents cannot use Chinese well in speaking or in writing. Their parents cannot help their children to do assignments after school. Their parents are also the group of weakness in economy and cannot pay the high fees for their children to the cram school.

These cute children come to my classroom to learn for the second time learning after class in the afternoon, at that time my students have gone home. These disadvantaged students are afraid of learning or not interested in learning, but most of them are smart and can learn better if someone can help them. For more pleasure to these students, I use the software established by Ministry of Education as Assistive Technology to help weak students to learn how to write Chinese character well. I also recommend this free software to my coworkers and my students’ parents that are too busy to company with their children. They can use it to teach their children. When the children are familiar with the software, they can even learn by themselves, have fun with it and make progress by their own learning speed.

It is very easy to use. What you need to do is to key in the character in the input box by Chinese Phonics and look for the character. Then you will see an animation area that will show you how to write the character. You will hear the pronunciation of the character. You can use a mouse to draw the character. If you do right, the voice from computer will give you feedback and say “good job” in Chinese. Every time the students hear “good job”, they will smile with satisfaction. That’s why I recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. They met a good teacher just like you. These children can have your careful assistance,I believe they will more and more progress. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber:
    Thank you for your appreciation. I just do what I want to do and what I like to do. I think every little thing that we try to do may change someone's life.
    EVA

    ReplyDelete