8/12/2010

MET6203 Computer Applications for Education assignment4

Our Wimba class this week is talking about the portfolio. The digital portfolio for teachers and students is convenient and accessible if the computer equipment is sufficient.

I used file-management folders to collect the student work. My students were able to share their work in public in their break time and took them home at the end of the semester. Their parents could know what their children had learned during the semester. However, it was heavy and not easy carried.

I use portfolio to preserve part of my teaching materials. Using computer to manage different portfolios and preserving them in computer or USB is efficient. Before adding technology in education, I need to find the teaching materials that I want in a lot of papers and I need large space to store the matters for teaching. Now I can get part of them from digital portfolio or my USB quickly. I know there is a new technology called "Cloud Computing". If it is more common in our life, we can record our teaching materials, classify them and preserve them in digital portfolios, no matter where we are.

Because I am a homeroom teacher now, I have thirty one cute students, but only one computer in my classroom. Every time I use Mutilmedia Math Game to offer more learning fun for my students. They need to take turns. At the same situation, my students can not have enough computers to finish their assignments or discussions in class.

I think it is good to teach students manage their own portfolio by themselves. It can train students as a good organizational student and help them to record their own learning process.

The teachers are always encouraged to use technology in education, but the equipments are not sufficient .If I were granted$1,000,000NTD and had to use it for educational technology, I would purchase enough computers for every students and their homeroom teacher. There would be more classes could take turns to use it. The homeroom teacher could teach language, math and other subjects by using computers and web. There would be more applications of teaching skills that the teachers could use in their students. The students would get much pleasure from it.

4 comments:

  1. Eva,

    If we preserving our teaching portfolio by paper, organization is very important as you said. Another problem is that paper is easy to destory. On the other hand, storing your data in computer is also at the risk if you forget to backup your data steadily. So be careful is the rule, I think.

    Mei

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. The paper portfolio is too heavy for kids to carry. I am thinking of converting paper portfolio to the electronic form.
    Calli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mei,
    Thank you for your recommendation. I will pay attention to what you talked about.
    :)Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calli:
    I will convert paper portfolios to digtal portfolio, it will be more efficient.

    ReplyDelete